Sunday, May 17, 2009

My take on some European Junk Foods















One of my major weaknesses at the grocery store is the foreign food section for the simple reason that I have a rather curious nature and can't resist getting a taste of what our friends across the ocean pack for a snack. Unfortunately for my wallet, a Wegmans just opened up in my part of town. Normally when I food shop I just get the basics. But occasionally I just have to try that weird Japanese soda with the glass marble in it (which took me forever to figure out by the way). So, yesterday I went to Wegmans and bought a few, mostly British, pre-packaged junk food-type snacks. Here are my thoughts:

Jaffa Cakes: If anyone has ever had Pims, they're kind of like that. They're little round cakes with orange jelly on top and then covered with dark chocolate. They were ok. I looove Pims and they are waaay better.
Bananko Banana: Oh sweet Jesus, I think this is officially my new favorite candy bar. It's a Croatian candy bar that basically tastes like a marshmellowy banana covered in dark chocolate. I need to stay away from these because I wont stop eating them.
Heinz beans: tomatoey and yummy. I ate them spooned over buttered toast and I can already see them becoming one of my favorite lazy person foods. They taste like pork and beans sans the pork.
Heinz Hoops: Not much to say, basically like American Spaghettio's 
Digestives: These are basically the British version of our graham crackers except that they're round and more crumbly. Ours are also a tad sweeter. Ours are better.
Adas: This is a Polish candy bar and is a "dark chocolate bar with milk flavoured filling." This is actually really good. I cant think of anything to compare it with. Just trust me, it's good.
Niederegger Marzipan Classic: This one's a little more upper class. And I was pretty sure I was going to love it because I love marzipan. I decided to try the milk chocolate instead of the dark because I always get the dark. I like the dark better. If you like marzipan you'll like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment